The business has recently reviewed its longer-term strategy and is now poised to take a leap forwards, focused on a transformational growth agenda which delivers long term value for its customers, shareholders and people. This will enable the achievement of its purpose; powering the choice for customers, of a cleaner greener future.
To help enable this transformation they are now looking for a Lead Developer with strong .net and Azure cloud-based tech experience.
Provide leadership to all developers, driving continuous improvement, introducing and embedding industry good practice and managing individual developers’ performance and professional development. Deliver development capability for critical workflows and act as the point of escalation for all development work.
• Develop and implement the developer strategy and business plans in close collaboration with key stakeholders
• Leadership of all developers in a way that supports high performance and engagement over the longer term
• Lead and be accountable for the development practice to enable ever improving development velocity and quality across squads / Scrum Teams.
• Own direction and implementation of developer tooling and practices roadmap (including, but not limited to CI/CD, test-driven development, choice of development stacks)
• Work closely with Technical Architect and Portfolio Team to ensure individual developers’ skills are working effectively with Scrum Teams and identify emerging skill needs for developers, continuously ensuring high performance of the team.
• Work with the Technical Architect to seek opportunities to introduce new technologies that will improve technical delivery and support implementation.
• Manage and be the point of escalation to deal with resourcing challenges;
• Ensure workforce planning of developers to maintain a consistent quality of service.
• Own and manage resourcing of developers according to IT and Digital’s operating model and budget.
• Develop and implement IT standards and procedures to aid in the development of high-quality software.
• Deliver development capability at a senior level and act as the point of escalation.
• The anticipation and management of risks in relation to functional and broader Good Energy business.
• Effective internal and external communication and collaboration with all stakeholder groups
A proactive individual with significant technical experience and interest in participating and growing a high performing development team. Comfortable balancing own deliverables and leading direct reports operating in a matrix managed structure. Strong understanding of Agile principles and implementations. A desire to continuously seek out improvements sourced from their own experience, suggestions from the developers or good practice from the broader software development industry.
A champion for growing a progressive, diverse and inclusive developer community. Participating in industry events to raise our profile.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Experience of delivering high quality code across a full stack, with a focus on front-end web development
• Strong interpersonal skills to facilitate profession development and, potentially, conflict resolution.
• Proven experience of leading a high performing team of developers.
• 2:1 or First-class degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree.
• Demonstrable experience of programming ability across a number of technologies with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques.
• Proven ability of tackling challenging delivery.
• Experience in full software development lifecycle.
• Experience using SCRUM or other Agile methodologies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Experience recruiting staff and building development teams
What you’ll get in return
- Salary up £55,000 DOE
- Travel allowance at all levels
- Green Travel Allowance
- Bonus at all levels
- Pension matched up to 7.5%
- 5 weeks annual leave with option to buy more
- Flexible working practices across many roles