My client has been one of the UKs fastest growing tech companies for 20 years. This success is due to product led innovation focusing on customer needs. My client will involve you from day one ensuring you are engaged with the whole operation and given real responsibility to make a difference.
The Lead Infrastructure Architect is the technical authority for design and implementation of the most complex product and engineering projects undertaken within the UK site for my client:
- Leading solution design and architecture of Docker/Kubernetes platforms for internal and external customers hosted across the company’s international datacentres
- Providing technical leadership to project teams managing lifecycle/upgrade/scaling of large-scale hosting platforms (web hosting, email hosting, cloud platform PaaS and IaaS)
- Contributing to the technical strategy of the group, particularly in the productization of Kubernetes and managed hosting solutions
- Working closely with networks, datacentre, operations and software teams to ensure that all systems are working at optimal levels.
This is a senior technical leadership role covering a broad set of technologies and product platforms that will require a structured approach from a highly skilled infrastructure/systems professional.
A formal approach is required to the architecture tasks alongside periods of hands-on delivery during R&D and implementation phases of major new technology projects.
- Infrastructure & systems architecture – Leading the design process for technical solutions such as: compute, storage, networking, physical infrastructure, software, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and open source packages and solutions, virtual and cloud including IaaS, PaaS and SaaS.
- Non-functional requirements – Evaluating, defining and delivering on non-functional requirements (performance, load, security, availability, maintainability) that ensure new and existing product platforms operate at the highest operational standards
- Technology selection and proof – Identifying, testing and proving of appropriate technologies for use in delivery of hosting product platforms. Particularly in the areas of storage (SAN, NAS, Ceph), Open source solutions (e.g. CNCF, Kubernetes), Web hosting technologies (Apache, NGINX)
- Leadership – Provide technical leadership to project teams across the technology division, delivering strategic objectives, liaising with local and global teams to find the best solutions and helping meet the demands of the wider business.
- Technology research and recommendation – Analysing emergent technologies, recommending these in relation to market opportunities, or alternative ways to solve organisational goals. Recommendations are presented clearly and understandably by senior management.
- Ownership and initiative – Take ownership of system requirements and proactively drive technical solutions. Take full accountability for actions taken and decisions made.
- Problem Solving – Understand and identify problems, analysing and helping to identify the appropriate solution. Classify and prioritise problems, document their causes and define remedies.
- Technical/Information security – Ensure the highest standards of technical and information security are built into all parts of technical platforms. Identify and resolve security risks, be a subject matter expert for the business and an active member of the Security Board.
The Lead Infrastructure Architect is expected to have a broad understanding on web / cloud technologies and a clear ability to develop expert level skills in current/future technical specializations required by the organization.
- 4 years+ experience in a senior engineering or architecture role
- Demonstrable experience of design and delivery of scaled technical architectures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly in relation to documenting technical architectures/designs and effective communication of these to technology teams and stakeholders.
- Experience of working with stakeholders across departments, international experience a benefit
- Expert technical understanding of Linux technology stacks
- Ability to work under pressure and offer strong and clear leadership
- Experience with configuration management and automation systems, such as Puppet or Ansible
- Experience with container technology, specifically Docker
- Experience of container management and orchestration, preferably OpenShift and Kubernetes
- Experience of open source storage platforms e.g. Ceph, Gluster,
- £65,000 - £85,000 Basic
- 10% Annual Bonus
- 25 days annual leave
- Contributory pension scheme, Aviva health care, Cycle to work scheme & other benefits
- Generous training opportunities tailored to your career goals
- Soft drinks, newspapers and fruit all available in our “break out” rooms.
- Great social activities: regular board gaming sessions, football (with an international football tournament once a year)
- Fitness groups, running teams, and many more.