The business has recently reviewed its longer-term strategy and is now poised to take a leap forwards, focused on a transformational growth agenda which delivers long term value for its customers, shareholders and people. This will enable the achievement of its purpose; powering the choice for customers, of a cleaner greener future.
About the team:
As a Senior Data Developer, you will be part of the Data team within the IT & Digital Department. The Data team works alongside the BI team and other cross-functional teams to deliver aspects of solutions that maximise the use of data in the organisation, including structuring data for the purposes of reporting and analytics, data integrations between systems, and migrations.
The IT & Digital Department delivers value by orientating to product delivery principles with individual development teams runs in either Scrum or Kanban. Lean-Agile Principles are at the core of decision making but the overarching commitment is to being people centric; valuing their contributions and continuously looking for ways to improve and develop professionally.
About the role:
As a senior member of the Data team and reporting to the Data lead, the Senior Data Developer will be working with stakeholders, technical leads and developers to design and deliver data-focussed solutions, both to support the need to maximise use of data to support decision making, and also as part of delivering integrated data solutions for the business.
The role involves hands-on development of data solutions such as data engineering, database and ETL development, using both emerging cloud technologies alongside established on-premises infrastructure.
With knowledge of and experience of effective delivery, the role involves working alongside the Data lead and other technical leads to design solutions that meet requirements, aligned with the technology strategy and approach that meets the mission, objectives and strategy.
In addition, the role will be a key part of establishing and developing an effective data team, mentoring junior developers and seeking improvements to working practices.
The Senior Data Developer will be able to demonstrate a strong technical background, and will be an authority in building data-focussed solutions that make use of data from a variety of sources, both to integrate data between systems and to build systems that provide for effective reporting and analytics.
You will be a proactive individual who will relish the opportunity to participate in hands-on delivery of a wide range of solutions as part of an effective team, whilst contributing to innovative design of solutions that meet strategic and short term business needs.
You will have a desire to bring your experience to bear to seek out improvements from your own experience, suggestions from the team or good practice from the broader software industry.
- 2:1 or First-class degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree
- Experience of working in an agile development environment, and knowledge of associated project methodologies and best practices
- Demonstrable experience of designing data-focussed solutions to deliver value to the business
- Experience working with and delivering database technology used for business intelligence, analytics, and operational systems
- Broad experience of data development with the Microsoft Data Platform including SQL Server
- Demonstrable experience of developing solutions including data integration, movement and workflows, such as ETL development
- Demonstrable experience of creation, management and delivery of cloud based data platforms, such as Microsoft Azure, AWS or Google Data Platform
- Knowledge and experience of reporting and analytics tools, such as Power BI
- Experience in full software development lifecycle
- Experience using source code control such as Git, and work management systems such as Jira and Azure Devops
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience and desire to mentor and develop junior team members
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable experience of delivering effective data warehouse solutions, using Kimball methodologies
- Experience of Big Data platforms and technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and parallel data warehouses
- Experience of real time data integrations
- Experience of CI/CD as it applies to data development
- £50,000 Basic
- Green Allowance
- 15% Bonus
- 25 days holiday
- Plus, lots more