£40000 - £50000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent benefits
11 months ago
My client, a market leading ISP and hosted services provider, are currently going through a large scale growth and transformation phase. As such, they are looking to up scale their interior teams to support the growth plans.
You will take a lead role in operating, improving and developing our local and global platforms. You will be responsible for resolving issues and finding their root causes by the simplest paths while also being enabled to propose and implement technical solutions and platform improvements. You’ll need to be an excellent communicator, adept at operating under pressure and establishing rapport with colleagues whilst providing technical expertise and mentoring to the wider team.
The client are huge advocates of bringing in ambitious individuals that have plenty of technical knowledge to share but are also open to learning new technologies and methods within their field. The client design and build their own bespoke hosted service solutions, so has a very open stance to knowledge sharing in order to improve the overall team.
For example, you may be a keen user of Docker but haven’t had the opportunity to diversify into Kubernetes. This client are one of the biggest users of Kubernetes and have excellent in house experts that are happy to mentor ambitious individuals.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be from a 3rd Line Support, Development or Operations background
• Be highly technical with demonstrable experience in a commercial environment
• Be an excellent trouble-shooter – looking to continuously improve the systems you work on
• Love a challenge and be looking for a dynamic environment where you can make a real difference
• Have a passion for Open Source software
The Linux Systems Engineer will need to work within an on call rota providing out of hours support when required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Build, implement, test and document new infrastructure solutions
• Review, make recommendations and implement improvements to existing platforms
• Contribute to the management and development of appropriate infrastructure security policies
• Act as a technical escalation point for the IT Operations team on customer issues and issues that have been highlighted through the monitoring of the infrastructure and services
• As a senior member of the team you will be responsible for helping to develop junior members of the team by mentoring and sharing knowledge and experience.
Linux Systems Engineers will be specialists within their own field but they are also expected to have a good understanding of all areas.
Key technologies used:
• CentOS, Redhat, Debian Linux Operating Systems
• Git, Ansible, Puppet, Foreman and bespoke tools.
• Docker, OpenShift,
• Apache/NGINX web server administration
• Postfix/Dovecot mail server administration
• Scripting – Bash, Pythion, Perl
• MySQL/MariaDB, Galera, Maxscale database technologies
• Ceph, Scality storage technologies desirable