Are you an experienced Linux Systems Engineer who is currently bored dealing with the same products and systems every day? Do you want to be hands-on with large scale, global, hosting platforms, working as part of Europe's #1 Hosting Provider?
My client is one of the fastest growing internet technology businesses in the UK, offering fantastic careers in the Web Hosting and Cloud industry. They design, build and operate full stack technology platforms within their wholly owned data centres across Europe and deliver these platforms at massive scale to serve both the business and the broader hosting group.
About the role:
You will take a lead role in the design, build and deployment of platforms and solutions that will drive the technical future of the business. You will need to be an excellent communicator, adept at operating under pressure and establishing rapport with colleagues whilst providing technical expertise and mentoring to the wider team.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be from a Systems Engineering/Admin, 3rd Line Support or Operations background
- Be highly technical with demonstrable experience in designing, building and operating scaled Linux platforms
- Be a proven mentor and technical lead with a track record of driving team engineering activities
- Be an excellent trouble-shooter - looking to continuously improve the systems you work on
- Love a challenge and be looking for a dynamic environment where you will work on a broad set of technologies and can make a real difference
- Have a passion for Open Source software
The opportunities this role will currently offer:
- Engagement in a broad programme of platform/systems/cloud transformation projects to enable a very large-scale data centre migration.
- Driving continual improvement in best practices relating to platform automation and configuration management solutions, currently Ansible, Ansible Tower, Puppet and Foreman.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, Build, implement and continuously improve major infrastructure solution
- Review, make recommendations and implement improvements to existing platforms
- Contribute to the management and development of infrastructure security policies
- Helping develop junior members of the team by mentoring and sharing knowledge and experience.
- Advanced Linux server administration, preferably RHCE certified
- Advanced scripting skills (eg BASH, Python,)
- Experience of server virtualisation at scale, preferably KVM
- Experience delivering major Linux platform/systems projects
Key technologies used by my client
- Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift
- CentOS, Redhat, Debian Linux Operating Systems
- Git, Ansible, Puppet, Foreman.
- Apache/NGINX web server administration
- Postfix/Dovecot mail server administration
- Scripting - Bash, Python, Perl
- MySQL/MariaDB, Galera, Maxscale database technologies
- Ceph, Scality storage technologies
Experience of all of these technologies is not essential however if you're a keen learner and wish to expand your skills, please get in contact.
What you get in return
- £40,000 - £65,000 DOE
- 25 days annual leave
- Generous training opportunities tailored to your career goals
- Opportunities to visit the best industry conferences across Europe
- Free parking close to the offices in a vibrant city centre location
- Contributory pension scheme, Private health care, Cycle to work scheme & other benefits